This qualification will form the basis for learners to extend their learning into more specialised areas of animal production and provides the basis of the establishment of sustainable farming operations through the inclusion of a whide spectrum of competencies required by farmers in South Africa. Whilst technical production orientated competencies are ensured, other aspects such as agri-business and good agricultural practices are included in the range of competencies required by farmers in order to enable them to strive towards agricultural management standards and practices at higher levels.
The purpose of this qualification is to allow Junior Personnel and elected candidated to progress towards a position of farm laboures (operators) with specific reference to Animal Production. The contexualised purpose and usage of the qualification is as follows:
- A learner assessed against this qualification will have the necessary competence to participate as part of a working team, performing the agricultural processes as applicable to animal production in an established and familiar context under general supervision.
- The Learner will be able to perform directed activities and take responsibility for the guiding others at lower level within an Animal Production context.
- Competency will be gained in any of the specialized sub-fields of Animal Production as specified under Areas of Specialization (i.e. Small stock, Large Stock, Dairy Production, Aqua Culture, etc.)
- The learner will be able to take responsible decisions within a familiar range based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of agri-business and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills, all in an Animal Production context.
- The Learner will be able to carry out familiar procedures in a limited environment and will be able to adhere to the relevant safety, quality, hygiene and technical standards as applicable within the industry.
- In addition to the above, the learner will be well positioned to extend learning and practice into other sub-fields such as Plant Production and Mixed Farming, since such efforts will only require additional learning within the elective scope of other qualifications at this level.
- The learner will be well positioned to progress towards higher levels of Management and Technical production practices as defined by qualifications at the next level.
- Learners will be enabled to actively participate in the Primary Agricultural Sector through the production of quality agricultural products, enhancing the overall agricultural process and gain opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
- This qualification will allow qualifying learners to become economically active in farming practices that will have a direct impact on Local Economic Development through the production of food, the improvement of household food security and access to mainstream agriculture.
- Finally, Learners will be able to guide and direct others in terms of the implementation of smaller development projects within an Animal Production context.
- Apply various communication skills within the agricultural environment.
- Describe and understand the principles of Human Resources Management as applied.
- Apply basic practices to conserve the environment, including natural resources.
- Evaluate animals externally with respect to their internal and external anatomical systems and morphology.
- Collect and collate agricultural data and recognize and report on deviations.
|Qual ID: 48976|
|NQF Level: 2|