National Certificate: New Venture Creation (Entrepreneurship)
Qual ID: 49648
NQF Level: 2
Minimum Credits: 138
Services Seta Qualification
The purpose of the NQF level 2 New Venture Creation qualification is to provide a qualification that can form the basis for structured programmes for potential and existing entrepreneurs to capitalise on opportunities to start and grow sustainable businesses that form part of the mainstream economy, enabling the learners to tender for business opportunities within both the public and private sectors. This qualification is designed for learners who intend to set up or have already set up own ventures. Assessment of the competencies and knowledge in the qualification needs to be done in the context of the learner’s own new venture.
Research has indicated that people working with their own new ventures at this level need the following competencies:
- Acquisition of an entrepreneurial profile which includes an innovation orientation
- An understanding of the industry/sector in which they wish to establish a new venture
- An ability to match new venture opportunities to market needs within a chosen industry/sector
- An ability to determine and manage the financial requirements of a new venture
- An ability to match new venture opportunities to market needs
- An ability to compile and utilise a business plan to manage a new venture and also where relevant, to seek funding for a new venture
The future of South Africa’s economy does not just lie in the formal sector, but within the informal SMME sector too. This is a growing part of South Africa’s economy and requires substantial focus from a developmental perspective. Following the success of the implementation of the National Certificate: New Venture Creation (NVC): Level 4 and upon doing further research, it has been established that there is a great demand to equip entrepreneurial learners with knowledge and skills at NQF level 2 so that they can become part of the mainstream economy as they set up and manage new ventures. Whilst the complexity of learning will be simpler at this level, the main outputs, requirements and competences of such entrepreneurs are broadly the same.
The small business sector is growing and it is in light of this that various stakeholders have taken the initiative to provide mentorship programmes that will assist budding entrepreneurs to become a more integral part of the mainstream economy, serving both the public and private sectors. Apart from the formative development that can take place via these programmes, it also provides more importantly for sustainable development.
Thus the design and establishment of an entrepreneurship qualification aims to:
- Develop appropriate skills and knowledge for the establishment and development of an enterprise.
- Address the economic/administrative and behavioural barriers that contribute to failures in starting and sustaining an enterprise.
- Create long-term solutions for job creation and SMME development via the building blocks and structure of a qualification that practically addresses the learning requirements of budding entrepreneurs.
This Qualification articulates horizontally with the following Qualifications:
- The National Certificate in Business Administration Services: Level 2
- The National Certificate in Call Centre Support: Level 2
Vertical articulation is possible with the following Qualifications:
- The National Certificate in Business Administration Services: Level 3
- The National Certificate in Management: Level 3
In order to enrol for this qualification you will be required to meet the entry level requirements as set out below.
It is assumed that the learner attempting this qualification is competent in:
- Communication at ABET Level 1
- Mathematical Literacy at ABET Level 1
Exit Level Outcomes
Once you have completed this qualification you will be able to:
1. Use basic Mathematics in order to fulfill new venture functions effectively.
2. Apply basic Communication skills in new venture creation context.
3. Determine market requirements and manage the relevant marketing and selling processes.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the sector/industry in which the business operates.
5. Determine financial requirements and manage financial resources of a new venture.
6. Manage business operations.
This qualification is made up of Fundamental, Core and Elective unit standards and a minimum of 138 credits is required to complete the qualification.
All unit standards totalling 36 credits are compulsory.
The Core Component consists of unit standard totalling 70 credits which are compulsory.
Learners are required to select unit standards totalling a minimum of 32 credits.
The following courses must be completed in order to complete the qualification:
- Introduction to business mathematics (2 Credits)
- Measurement and Shape (3 Credits)
- Numbering Systems (3 Credits)
- Statistics and Probability (3 Credits)
- Patterns and Functions (5 Credits)
- Writing Skills (5 Credits)
- Reading Skills (5 Credits)
- Communication Skills (5 Credits)
- Learning Strategies (5 Credits)
The following courses must be completed in order to complete the qualification:
Sales and Marketing
- Introduction to Sales and Marketing (7 Credits)
- Professional Behaviour (4 Credits)
- Providing Customer Care (2 Credits)
- Market Segmentation (6 Credits)
- Tender Management (8 Credits)
- Supply Chain Management (8 Credits)
- Contracts Management (10 Credits)
- Business Ethics (2 Credits)
- Information Management Systems (9 Credits)
- Start Up Costing (8 Credits)
- Financial Management (10 Credits)
- Banking Management (5 Credits)
- Entrepreneurship (7 Credits)
- Business Legislation (2 Credits)
- Planning your Business (8 Credits)
- Understand Economic Impact (4 Credits)
- Manage Business Operations (8 Credits)
Managing Staff (HR Functions)
- HR Management (4 Credits)
- Health and Safety Awareness (3 Credits)
- HIV/Aids in the Workplace (4 Credits)
- Self and Team Management (5 Credits)
- Meeting Management (4 Credits)
You may choose any of the following courses to add onto this qualification for additional credits:
- Coordinate Meetings, Events and Traveling Arrangements (3 Credits)
- Basic Reception Skills (4 Credits)
- Setting up for Exhibitions (5 Credits)
- Manage Office Equipment (2 Credits)
- Introduction to Organisational Structure Management (8 Credits)
To enrol for this qualification you will be required to complete a registration form which you can access by clicking on the Online Registration Button or you may download the enrolment form, by clicking the Download Registration Button. Please complete the form and submit or email it to email@example.com together with the supporting documents requested.
Should you wish to register for any of the courses listed under the courses tab, you may do so via our online learning portal and you will be able to register and pay for the course either via EFT or using your Debit or Credit Card.
Click on the course name of your choice under the Courses Tab. By clicking on the course name you will be directly to the online course enrolment, where you will be able to access and complete the course online.
To complete this qualification or any of the courses listed under this qualification you will be required to complete a Portfolio of Evidence for each course.
The Portfolio of Evidence will consist of the following sections and must reach our offices in its original form:
- Portfolio of Evidence Guide – Completed and Signed by Learner
- Personal Information – Containing documents such as a Certified Copy of ID and Certificates as well as your recent updated CV.
- Formative Assessment – This will consists of activities that you have completed during the period of your study.
- Summative Assessment – This assessment will consist of a final assessment once you have completed a course and will consist of the following sections:
- Knowledge Questions
- Practical Questions
- Practical Assignment
- Peer Evaluation
In order to complete the full qualification you will also be required to submit a Logbook provided to you as well as complete a written exam. The exam will be available online at a designated date and time, or will be completed in person at any of our designated campuses.