A learner completing this course will be able to implement a management system related to food safety, production practices, as well demonstrate environmental and social awareness within the agricultural supply chain.
Learners will gain an understanding of sustainable agricultural practices as applied in the animal, plant and mixed farming sub fields. This unit standard focuses on the application of food safety principles in primary agriculture.
Competent learners will be fully competent in food safety practices whereby providing the environment for the application of quality practices and thus strengthen agricultural practices in general. They will be able to participate in, undertake and plan farming practices with knowledge of their environment. This unit standard will instill a culture of maintenance and care for both the environment as well as towards farming infrastructure and operations.
Unit Standard ID: 116278
Unit Standard Title: Implement a food safety and quality management system in the agricultural supply chain
NQF Level: 4
This course forms part of the following qualifications:
National Certificate: Animal Production
National Certificate: Plant Production
Once you have completed this course you will be specifically be able to:
- Principles of regulatory and legal aspects with reference to the specific
- A basic understanding of food-borne illnesses.
- A basic knowledge of the Impact of food safety and quality in trade.
- A thorough understanding of contamination risks and preventative measures.
- Contamination risks.
- Contamination preventative measures.
- A basic understanding of risk factors related to food safety.
- Be familiar with the principles of food safety and quality.
- Basic principles of environmental and conservation management.
- Basic principles of waste and pollution management.
- Basic principles of natural resource management.
- Local legislation such as Occupational Health and Safety, Health and Welfare.
- A basic understanding of procedures of internal audits, trace-ability, and
In order for you to enter this course the following learning should be in place:
- Mathematical literacy at NQF Level 3.
- Communication at NQF Level 3.
- NQF 3: Apply of crop protection and animal health products effectively and responsibly.
- NQF 3: Explain store inputs categories, labelling and storage methods.
- NQF 3: Monitor and supervise a food safety and quality management system in the agricultural supply chain.
- Contact Phase: 2 days
- Preparation of POE & Summative Assessment: up to 4 weeks.
- Online learning will take at least 1-2 weeks to complete each lesson. You will be required to complete an online test after you have completed each lesson.
- Preparation of POE & Summative Assessment: up to 6 weeks.
You will receive two certificates. The first certificate will be issued to you via online and is printable once you have completed the online course,
You will be required to download and print this certificate together with the portfolio of evidence guide, as well as your assignments which has to be completed and signed by you. This must be sent to us for assessment and verification.
On successful completion and acceptance of the Portfolio of Evidence, Formative Assessment and Summative Assessment the results will be submitted to the relevant SETA/ETQ for verification, once the SETA/ETQ has endorsed the results you will be issued with a statement of results as well as a certificate of competence, which will then be your second certificate.