This Qualification is the second step in a learning pathway that underpins a career in the Labour Relations arena. A large number of the competencies developed in the Qualification are rooted in actual workplace practice and should lead to greater productivity resulting from the improved performance by the learner, due to the integration of the knowledge mastered with workplace practice.
Many different roles and careers are linked to and affected by this Qualification. They include but are not limited to:
- HR officers
- Case Management Officers - Bargaining Councils
- Department of Labour Advice officers
- Labour brokers
- Union officials, particularly organisers
- CCMA case management officials
- Public and/or private agents providing labour law advice
- IR administrators
- Dispute Resolution Call Centre Agents
- Specifically the purpose of this Certificate Qualification is to:
- Equip learners to understand and apply the underlying principles of the Labour Relations sector and associated Human Resource Development Legislation.
- Provide a Qualification at NQF Level 5 that is the second step in a learning pathway in the Labour Relations field which will enhance the mobility of employees along a career path in the sector This can be done through an individual learning programme or through associated learnerships at various levels and areas in the Labour Relations environment.
- Provide for mobility of learning into associated areas such as Human Resource Practice, Consulting etc.
- Equip learners to become effective employees, employers and/or self-employed members of society.
- Develop a richer learning environment in the field of Labour Relations through high quality lifelong learning.
- Improve the Labour Relations skills of employees in the sector, as well as of employers who wish to become experts in the labour relations field to ensure compliance of their organization with labour legislation
- Enable the learner to assist workers/employees within his/her community in terms of their labour rights and obligations and thereby ensure social and economic transformation.
- Ensure the development of competence in the Labour Relations field, arguably one of the most important arenas for social and economic transformation in the country.
Qualifying learners will have acquired a range of competencies in the areas of:
- Labour Relations Practice.
- Human Resources.
- The implementation of policies and procedures.
- Legal knowledge.
- Business practice and ethics.
This learning supports the objectives of the NQF through increased portability and articulation of learning and career path progression. It creates increased opportunity for access to lifelong learning for learners both employed and unemployed. It also provides recognition to learners through a formal qualification of knowledge and skills they might have acquired in the workplace. By concentrating on the link between theory and practice, the quality of education and training as well as the personal development of the learner will be elevated.
- Communicate effectively in the workplace with internal and external clients.
- Screen and refer cases.
- Operate the case management process and manage the flow of information.
- Apply knowledge of applicable Labour legislation to real or simulated cases.
- Apply the Rules of the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration.
- Understand the regulations of the Labour Relations Act relating to Collective Agreements and Bargaining Councils.
- Analyse referred disputes and select appropriate resolution process.
- Apply knowledge of the Compensation for Occupational Injury and Disease Act of 1993 (COIDA).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the transformative elements of the Human Resource Development Legislation.
- Conduct a pre-conciliation by telephone
- Effective Communication Skills
- Labour Law and Contracts Management
- Regulations of the Labour Relations Act relating to
Collective Agreements and Bargaining Councils
- The Rules of Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and
- Understanding of the transformative elements of the Human
Resource Development Legislation.
- Operate the case management process
- Analyse referred disputes and select appropriate resolution
- Screen and refer cases
- Conduct a pre-conciliation by telephone
To enter this qualification you will require the following:
- Stable Internet Connection
- Printer and Scanner
- Minimum of 3 hours per week for studying
- A quiet place where you can study
- Grade 12 or NQF Level 5 or equivalent
Labour law, labour courts (including appeal courts) & labour consultants.
Bargaining & statutory councils.
Private labour agents.
Public & private labour advice offices.
Law firms, particularly labour lawyers.